It's been some time since this has seen any action so I will do the ol' update thing. Things are going really well here. We're just finishing up the month which means I've been testing the kids and have to prepare my report cards and such. The kids are sometimes well behaved and sometimes not. I suppose with kids that's the best you can really ask for.
My diet has been happily expanding. I've been eating the lunch provided by the school which gives me a dose of Korean goodness on a regular basis. I've come to crave Kimchi every now and then (it's a cold spicy cabbage that has been fermented in its own juices, I know...yum!) and I realized that beside the entrance to my building is a kimbap house which is the Korean equivalent to Sushi. It's really good and a full roll costs about 1000 won or $1 CAD. It's definitely cheaper to eat out at the right places. I've had many a solitary dinner but I think it adds to my foreigner-mystique, people can't seem to keep their eyes off of me.
I've finally experienced Soju, a rice-based liqueur that is praised as Korean Whiskey. It also doubles as a table cleaner in restaurants, not a far stretch in terms of taste, I'm sure.
I travelled to Jinju this past weekend to visit some Laurier people. It was about a 3 hour bus ride and it was in darkness both ways, so I have nothing to report in terms of landscape between there and Seoul. It's been relatively cold, I've been acclimatized to it so -7 is uncomfortable. I know...shut it.
otherwise things have been going really well. I get paid this week so my month long stint of bean and bread dinners are no longer necessary (if you were reading carefully, this can't be true, I think I've actually gained like 8 pounds since I've been here), but I digress---
I'm settled and content.
send me an email if you'd like more stories..like the one about why I no longer discuss the untimely passing of former teen movie stars.
Evan.
ps. my album picks for January are the new Band of Horses - Cease to Begin, and anything by Stephen Fretwell -... actually that's not true, some of it is not so good. The first is a solid album, for real.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment