Friday, March 28, 2008

So, I've reached a point where things have become pretty routine. I haven't really experienced any new and hilarious things so this may be a dry read...consider yourself warned.

It's been a month of the new classes and the kids are getting a bit better, but they're often very frustrating. I have a class of kids who are about 5 or so years old and they like to take things from me. I'm not sure if you've ever been in a monkey park or anything of the like, but in these places you're warned that the monkeys may go through bags and steal things from people with their nimble little fingers and opposable thumbs. These children are not unlike thieving monkeys (a name I've began to use rather freely with them). I have often found myself in other classes missing markers or board erasers or my wallet, only to locate it in their secret monkey stash, in or amongst toys and various other effects taken from other teachers. They're sneaky, but I'm wise to their games.

Last weekend, I was feeling especially pious (or particularly irreverent) and thus compelled to find a church for Easter Sunday Mass. I looked online and I found a church that had several different times and languages which was good for me. I left with plenty of time to spare with the intention of looking around the area or having a coffee or some such thing. It was not a very nice day. The weather here had been relatively warm but for some reason it was cold and rainy (I'm sure it had something to do with high or low pressure systems, but that's outside the scope of this message) on Sunday. Despite the obvious heavenly warning, I continued to where I thought the church was. I had underestimated the number of Christian churches in this city, but my new estimate would be about 404 million (a rough guess).

So I came out of the subway looking for a steeple or some kind of obvious or churchy looking place, but I did not find anything that looked redeeming. So I walked on...in no particular direction, hoping divine intervention would kick in or something.

I walked for about 3 hours and found an array of churches, and some pretty cool little back alleys. I also located embassy section of Seoul. I did not see the Canadian one, so even that didn't have any real value, but I at least know the region in which the Canadian embassy might be in; a journey for another day.

Anyways, I wandered in the rain hoping to stumble on the church as I didn't really know where I was. Not a very effective method of finding a specific building in a foreign city. I probably should have, at the very least, written down the name of the church. But out of the whole thing I've decided that God has a sense of humour and he (or the equivalent Godly pronoun) was having a good laugh at my journey. I was okay with that, I got to see another part of the city.
I'm aware of the confidence it takes to believe that God was intensely watching my solitary and wet journey around Hannam just for a laugh, but I'm confident this was the case. I'd watch me for a few hours too.

Anyways, I told you this’d be a dry one.
I'll start doing some wild and crazy things to necessitate the blog and regular updates.
Night.

No comments: