Thursday, June 12, 2008

smell my face

I didn't think this was blog-worthy but it's been happening a lot lately..
I have a student, her name is X (for confidentiality-- I wouldn't dare breech the Hippocratic oath, entrusted mainly to kindergarten teachers in Korea).
X is probably about 8-or-so years old here, so younger at home. This particular girl has made it a habit of rubbing my face. This may sound strange, but it happens a lot and I completely understand; it's prickly and fun, I often rub it myself. The thing is, when she thinks I'm not looking, she smells her hands. It's usually a two-handed affair. I can even see her shoulders roll back as she draws in air: we're talking a serious haul.

She must enjoy it, and I can identify with this. I have a certain appreciation for odd smells myself. Who can say with honesty that they don't enjoy the musk of their pillows in bed? (If you can say you don't, you are either lying or perhaps lacking in olfactory ability)

Is this weird?..I wouldn't think it strange to suggest that my face smells nice-- intoxicating even. I think she's just one of the lucky few who've realized its potential.
I may make a lesson on odour appreciation to give her the proper language to describe it, and ask her about it.

hope that wasn't too gross


Evan

post script:
A former student gave me some "thank you" cacti in an ornate ceramic basket. On the Teacher Scale of Goodness that's like an 8 out of 12. I know it's not as good as say an arrangement of ferns or decorative trees but it's better than a bouquet of carnations.

I'm moving up in the ranks.

No comments: