Friday, February 22, 2008

sans titre

well hi. This is an update because it's been a little while. It's not the day in the life thing I had planned-- not yet. The kids' final presentation assembly thing is next Thursday or something and I plan on making some videos of that. I just finished watching a movie called "Once", on a wonderful recommendation. It's good, check it out.

Things here have been fun. Last night a few fellow teachers and I scoured the area looking for a place where other foreigners hang out and it took us to a variety of very different and creepy places. Some of them were 2 floors underground with eerie neon lights and zebra striped walls, very strange. We found a place with full stage set up and about 6 people inside (2 of whom owned the place, 2 were there to play the instruments, 1 was the waiter and one was an actual patron) the instruments on stage seemed, initially, to be for show, perhaps to sucker unsuspecting foreigners into the bar. The guy who owned the place sang all the great Korean classics with a midi accompaniment. It's a kind of open-mic meets karaoke...terrible. So we stayed a little longer and yadda yadda yadda, I was somehow coerced into getting on stage to sing Hotel California.

It was surreal (the bar not my performance), it had a kind of blue neon glow and the mic was set to super-echo (I believe that's the technical term, I won't dumb it down just for my audience) and my fans (the 3 patrons and various staff) were really into it regardless of quality, it seemed like a weird movie scene.

Anyways, I had temporarily forgotten how high that song is, and unfortunately how unhigh my voice goes. Needless to say, I did not receive a record deal for my performance.
So we stayed there and made friends with some more Korean business men who came into the bar later on. I later tried my hand at crowd-pleasing on the drum kit. I accompanied a guitarist and a bassist; it was okay but again-- no record deal. The night ended late, many hours and won later, good times had by all.

I'm not sure what else to talk about. It's been a pretty quiet week. Our schedules are in the midst of a big shift as this is the beginning of new school year so I get new classes. I am now officially a kindergarten teacher which just means I have to eat lunch with the kiddies; I'm not overly excited about that, but whatever, no big deal.
So this was just a little one til I get a better pile of stories. Hope everyone's well and your things all work (electronics and cars and whatnot) life seems to be better when that's the case; easier, rather.

anyways, we'll talk more (I'll talk more) later.

evan

post script: album recommendation is in accordance with my movie tip at the beginning. It's an Irish - Czech duo with guy called Glen Hansard and a girl called Marketa Irglova. They have an album called the Swell Season and a lot of it is quite nice, take a listen- thank me later.

No comments: