Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sketches from past days

It's been some time since I wrote anything of substance on here. Things have been busy with vacation and various visits from family and friends. I've got a few stories, but this one in particular stood out.

A half-cut, water-bottle vase
I was recently given a little assortment of roses.
The circumstances in which I acquired the flowers is not really relevant to the story, so I will omit those details.

The story is more of a moment of adult-ness for which I was unprepared. I received the gift rather unexpectedly, reflexively left them on the counter. I really didn't think much of them, other than "hey, cool. I've never gotten flowers before". After a while I began to feel guilty that they had been living horizontally when, as everyone knows, they prefer a more vertical orientation. I thought, 'they need a vase'.

I was then gripped by a battery of realizations...

  • I don't own a vase.
  • I don't know where the best place to buy a vase is.
  • I can't remember if the shape has anything to do with anything.
  • I don't know if regular water goes into the vase or if there's some kind of secret vase-water, that I've just never known about.
  • I'm not sure if you're supposed to do anything to the flowers before placing them into the vase.
  • I don't know whether puter or blown glass will coordinate better with the green-ish colour scheem I've tried to maintain in my room.

My mind was reeling, but calmed by a sudden flash of insight: perhaps an empty box of strawberry Frosted Flakes could be the happy home. Inspired mainly by those little portable cereals where the milk is poured into the cross-sectioned bag, I emptied the box. However, I decided not to because I thought it might look a bit silly.

The search resumed, and I attempted a number of vase-shaped containers but nothing seemed adult enough.
I finally settled on a Mason jar, and I think the arrangement looked quite nice.

Anyways, the point of the story (other than the obvious and almost excessive manliness I have managed to gather in the last 7 months) is to know how to deal with the complexities of adult life. To conclude, Mason jars are a wonderful go-to vase (second only to a vase). Also, you use the same water as from the tap.

Sidenote** Japan was wicked fun and it was lovely to see the family. I just didn't write a long note about it because I used all my creative juices to write about a vase, and I have sadly run out of said juices. Perhaps I will be rejuvinated mid-week to adequately describe that and other noteworthy experiences of the last few months.

until then.

No comments: