As that means nothing to many of you, I shall elaborate...
A week-or-so ago I was asked if I would wear a traditional Korean outfit for their Thanksgiving celebration called Chuseok. It was the last day before the break so we did it up today. The actual day is on Sunday, I think. It's a lunar-calendar based holiday so it changes periodically.
I was in charge of helping the lads of Kiwi class change into their Hanboks. These are very colourful, layered garments, worn for major celebrations (weddings, birthdays, etc.). All the kids brought theirs from home so it was a bit of a chore to get them all changed but it was very cute once they were all dressed.
Some of the boys were more excited about the prospect of being allowed to run around the classroom in their underwear, but otherwise it was a pretty tame process.
I was proud of my accomplishment, having only a slight idea how to dress these kids. Then it was my turn to get dressed. I was handed 2 hanger-fulls of a bright pink and majenta (a colour that I had only learned today) fabric. I hadn't any idea how to put it on, but I locked myself in the bathroom stall and used the ol' trial and error method.
There were many strings that needed to be tied, but some just didn't seem possible to connect. Operating on a same-width logic, I was able to connect all the pieces to their respective partners. The garment went on relatively easily after that. The pants could have likely accomodated 5 of me, but that made them all the more hilarious.
By the end, I had everything on, except for 2 loose ribbons still tied to the hanger. I did a little jump to make sure nothing would spring off, and proceeded out of the bathroom looking for someone who knew what the extra ribbons were for. I was concerned, however, that they served some kind of personal purpose and were not to be carried around in one's hand.
I timidly asked the desk-teacher what they were and she bent down and tied them around my ankles. They were to keep my pants from engulfing my shoes (which were my ratty old Chucks- not terribly appropriate) when I walked. They succeeded in their mission, and they looked pretty sharp.
Once dressed we made a rice snack called songpyeon, and that was the bulk of the experience. I was glad they got me a Hanbok to wear. It made me feel very Korean.
I also thought it would be worth while to talk about my advances in Hapkido. My last entry on the subject discussed how I was essentially paying $100 a month to learn how to fall, but it's come a ways from that. I've been learning how to jump over mats head first and roll out of it, an array of kicks, and other defence techniques. I've also been introduced to some weapons. I have been practicing my staff twirling for the last little while, and I think it's gotten significantly better.
I had a level test last week, which asked me to show the approximately 20 different ways of getting out of someone grabbing at your wrist, and I passed. Now, I can evade my attacker, but only if he is standing in front of me, grabbing my left wrist in an over-hand grip, without any weapons, and if he is willing to let me choose and execute my manouver without holding too tightly or resisting my efforts.
You've all been warned...
I am now a level 2 white belt. I have to wait til my next test to change colours. I hope I actually get my yellow belt within the next month or so.
Also, I was given the honour of learning how to use Nunchucks in a defensive way. I had to learn a series of blocks and keep the master from smacking me with a practice sword. It was fun. I decided to purchase a pair to practice at home with. I had arguably the coolest shopping list I've ever made...
- Jam
- Juice
- Nunchucks
All of these items were purchased at the E-mart across the street, and I was eating PBJ sandwiches, swinging my chucks all night.
Like I said, things are good
Evan
post script:
"If you want to be happy, then call me because I am going to tickle you."
-A little pick-me-up written to me by a 5 year-old boy called Thomas
No comments:
Post a Comment